New BMW R 1300 GS: the facts!
With the BMW R 80 G/S, BMW Motorrad unleashed a then-new segment more than four decades ago: that of touring enduros. Since then, the BMW GS with boxer engine has been the undisputed leader in a competitive field. To maintain that position in the future, BMW Motorrad has opted for an almost completely new design for the R 1300 GS, with an impressive 12 kg weight reduction compared to the R 1250 GS.
Complete new boxer engine
The design once again centers on the legendary two-cylinder boxer engine, but of a more compact size due to the gearbox being located under the engine and thanks to the newly developed drive for the camshafts. From a displacement of exactly 1,300 cc, the new boxer delivers 107 kW (145 hp) of power at 7,750 rpm and 149 Nm of torque at 6,500 rpm. This makes it the most powerful BMW boxer engine ever in series production.
Frame constructed of sheet steel
In the chassis, the frame constructed from sheet steel plays the leading role with significantly increased mounting space for components and with greater rigidity compared to the previous GS frame. The bolt-on rear frame is now cast aluminum and thus no longer consists of steel tubing. The new EVO Telelever front wheel guide and revised EVO Paralever rear wheel guide contribute to increased steering precision and ride stability.
BMW R 1300 GS ‘next level’ in damping and suspension
The new electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) provides dynamic adjustment of front and rear damping with simultaneous adjustment of suspension travel (spring stiffness) – depending on the selected driving mode, conditions and maneuvers. Automatic suspension adjustment also provides load compensation. Whether riding solo, in pairs or with substantial luggage, DSA guarantees even higher levels of safety, performance and comfort.
Adaptive height control
Only in combination with the optional factory DSA are there two more options for the R 1300 GS’s suspension: adaptive height control and a sport mode. Adaptive height control automatically adjusts ride height depending on driving conditions, ensuring the utmost comfort without compromising driving dynamics and freedom when cornering at an angle. Sport mode increases front and rear suspension travel by 20 mm. This option is specifically designed for off-road use.
Four driving modes standard
As standard equipment, the BMW R 1300 GS offers a choice of four riding modes. The “Rain” and “Road” modes familiar from the previous model and the efficiency-oriented driving mode “Eco” have been complemented by the new “Enduro” mode. This mode features an off-road setup for better handling on unpaved surfaces.
Matrix LED lighting
The R 1300 GS has a new, very small full LED headlight with a distinctive light icon. This illuminates the road with hitherto unprecedented brightness, making the motorcycle more noticeable in traffic. Innovative are the LED turn signals integrated into the hand guards. With the optional equipment Headlight Pro, the LED headlight moves with the curve for optimal illumination of the road.
The new Riding Assistant option offers Active Cruise Control (ACC), Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW). Lane Change Warning monitors lane markings on the left and right and helps to change lanes safely via alerts in the rear-view mirrors when vehicles are in the blind spot.
The new R 1300 GS comes in an attractive base style variant and optional style variants Triple Black, GS Trophy and Option 719 Tramuntana.
The all-new design of the R 1300 GS is based on the traditional GS “flyline. Joining the center cover over the aluminum tank, the saddle of the R 1300 GS offers a distinctive enduro-like silhouette. The tank cover is made of the same upholstery as the saddle.
The BMW R 1300 GS available for a consumer suggested retail price starting at €23,250, including VAT and BPM.
The new BMW R 1300 GS in a nutshell:
- Completely redesigned boxer engine with gearbox mounted underneath and BMW ShiftCam technology for variable valve timing and valve lift on the intake side.
- Most powerful BMW boxer engine ever.
- Powerful response throughout the rev range, very favorable fuel consumption and ditto emissions, smooth and refined engine running.
- Power and torque: 107 kW (145 hp) at 7,750 rpm and 149 Nm at 6,500 rpm.
- Optimized antipingel sensor system.
- Completely revised suspension with a main frame of sheet steel and rear frame of cast aluminum. Even more steering precision and riding stability thanks to new EVO Telelever with flex element front wheel guide and revised EVO Paralever rear wheel guide.
- Weight reduction of 12 kg compared to outgoing R 1250 GS.
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS standard.
- Four driving modes standard.
- Engine Drag Control (MSR), Dynamic Brake Assist (DBC) and Hill Start Control (HSC) as standard.
- Driving modes Pro with additional driving modes optional ex-factory.
- Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) standard.
- Electronic Dynamic Suspension Adjustment (DSA) as optional equipment ex-factory, with dynamic adjustment of front and rear damping and suspension, including load compensation.
- Adaptive height control and sport mode for suspension as factory options.
- New matrix LED headlight standard.
- Headlight Pro with adaptive cornering lights as a factory option.
- Hand guards with integrated turn signals.
- Lithium-ion battery with Battery Guard (service function via BMW Motorrad App) as standard.
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) with braking function standard.
- Riding Assistant with Active Cruise Control (ACC), Front Collision Warning (FCW) and Lane Change Warning (SWW) for safe and easy motorcycling as optional equipment.
- Smartphone charging compartment with integrated USB connection and 12-volt socket as standard.
- Heated seat for rider and passenger as optional equipment ex-factory.
- Handlebar riser up to 30 mm as a factory option.
- Wide range of saddle heights as a factory option.
- Connectivity: multifunction instrument cluster with 6.5-inch full-color TFT display and numerous features as standard.
- RDC, Keyless Ride, heated grips standard.
- Intelligent Emergency Call standard in the Netherlands
- Attractive base and style variants Triple Black, GS Trophy and Option 719 Tramuntana.
- Extensive range of optional equipment and Original BMW Motorrad Accessories.
Expanded standard equipment of the new BMW R 1300 GS compared to outgoing GS:
- Heated handles.
- Keyless Ride (steering wheel lock, ignition and tank lock).
- BMW Motorrad Full Integral ABS Pro.
- Dynamic Cruise Control (DCC) with braking function.
- Lithium-ion battery.
- Hand guards with integrated turn signals.
- Intelligent Emergency Call (eCall)
- 3-year manufacturer’s warranty